Burnt Offering, The
1. To be offered only to the Lord. Jdj 13:16.
2. Specially acceptable. Ge 8:21; Le 1:9,13,17.
3. The most ancient of all sacrifices. Ge 4:4; 8:20; 22:2,13; Job 1:5.
4. Offered by the Jews before the law. Ex 10:25; 24:5.
5. To be taken from
a. The flock or herd. Le 1:2.
b. The fowls. Le 1:14.
6. Was an atonement for sin. Le 9:7.
7. Guilt transferred to, by imposition of hands. Le 1:4; Nu 8:12.
8. Required to be
a. Killed, if a beast, by the person who brought it. Le 1:5,11.
b. Killed, if a bird, by the priest. Le 1:15.
c. For the people at large, killed and prepared by the Levites. Eze 44:11.
d. A male without blemish. Le 1:3; 22:19.
e. Voluntary. Le 1:3; 22:18,19.
f. Presented at the door of the tabernacle. Le 1:3; De 12:6,11,14.
g. Offered by priests only. Le 1:9; Eze 44:15.
h. Offered in righteousness. Ps 51:19.
i. Entirely burned. Le 1:8,9,12,13; 6:9.
j. Blood of, sprinkled round about upon the altar. Le 1:5,11.
9. Blood of, sprinkled round about upon the altar. Le 1:5,11.
10. If a bird, the blood was wrung out at the side of the altar. Le 1:15.
11. Ashes of, collected at foot of the altar, and conveyed without the camp. Le 6:11.
12. Skin of, given to the priests for clothing. Le 7:8; Ge 3:21.
13. Was offered
a. Every morning and evening. Ex 29:38-42.
b. Every sabbath day. Nu 28:9,10.
c. The first day of every month. Nu 28:11.
d. The seven days of unleavened bread. Nu 28:19,24.
e. The day of atonement. Le 16:3,5; Nu 29:8.
f. At consecration of Levites. Nu 8:12.
g. At consecration priests. Le 9:2,12-14.
h. At consecration of kings. 1Ch 29:21-23.
i. At purification of women. Le 12:6.
j. For Nazarites after defilement, or at the end of their vow. Nu 6:11,14.
k. For the healed leper. Le 14:13,19,20.
l. At dedication of sacred places. Nu 7:15; 1Ki 8:64.
m. After great mercies. 1Sa 6:14; 2Sa 24:22,25.
n. Before going to war. 1Sa 7:9.
o. With sounds of trumpets at feasts. Nu 10:10.
14. The fat, &c of all peace offerings laid on, and consumed with the daily. Le 3:5; 6:12.
15. Of the wicked, not accepted by God. Isa 1:10,11; Jer 6:19,20; Am 5:22.
16. Obedience better than. 1Sa 15:22; Jer 7:21-23.
17. Knowledge of God better than. Ho 6:6.
18. Love of God better than. Mr 12:33.
19. Abraham tried by the command to offer Isaac as. Ge 22:1-24.
20. Incapable of removing sin, and reconciling to God. Ps 40:6; 50:8; Heb 10:6.
21. The most costly, no adequate tribute to God. Isa 40:16; Ps 50:9-13.
22. Guilt of unauthorised persons offering. 1Sa 13:12,13.
23. Guilt of offering, except in the place appointed. Le 17:8,9.
24. Of human victims execrated. De 12:31; 2Ki 3:27; Jer 7:31; 19:5.
25. Illustrative of
a. The offering of Christ. Eph 5:2; Heb 10:8-10.
b. Devotedness to God. Ro 12:1.