Temple, the First
1. Built on Mount Moriah on the threshing-floor of Ornan or Araunah. 1Ch 21:28-30; 22:2; 2Ch 3:1.
a. Anxious to build. 2Sa 7:2; 1Ch 22:7; 29:3; Ps 132:2-5.
b. Being a man of war not permitted to build. 2Sa 7:5-9; 1Ki 5:3; 1Ch 22:8.
c. Told by the prophet that Solomon should build. 2Sa 7:12,13; 1Ch 17:12.
d. Made preparations for building. 1Ch 22:2-5,14-16; 29:2-5.
e. Charged Solomon to build. 1Ch 22:6,7,11.
f. Prayed that Solomon might have wisdom to build. 1Ch 29:19.
g. Charged his princes to assist in building. 1Ch 22:17-19.
h. Free will offering of the people for the building. 1Ch 29:6-9.
a. Determined to build. 2Ch 2:1.
b. Specially instructed for. 2Ch 3:3.
c. Employed all the strangers in preparing for. 2Ch 2:2,17,18; 1Ki 5:15.
d. Applied to Hiram for a skilful workman to superintend, &c the building of. 2Ch 2:7,13,14.
e. Employed thirty thousand Israelites in the work. 1Ki 5:13,14.
f. Contracted with Hiram for wood, stone, and labour. 1Ki 5:6-12; 2Ch 2:8-10.
g. Commenced second day of second month of fourth year of Solomon. 1Ki 6:1,37; 2Ch 3:2.
h. Built without the noise of hammers, axe, or any tool. 1Ki 6:7.
4. Divided into
a. The sanctuary or greater house. 2Ch 3:5.
b. The oracle or most holy place. 1Ki 6:19.
c. The porch. 2Ch 3:4.
5. Surrounded with three stories of chambers communicating with the interior on the right side. 1Ki 6:5,6,8,10.
6. Surrounded with spacious courts. 1Ki 6:36; 2Ch 4:9.
7. Was three score cubits longs, twenty broad, and thirty high. 1Ki 6:2; 2Ch 3:3.
8. Was lighted by narrow windows. 1Ki 6:4.
9. Was roofed with cedar. 1Ki 6:9.
10. The greater or outer house
a. Was forty cubits long. 2Ki 6:17.
b. Had folding doors of fir wood carved and golden. 1Ki 6:34,35.
c. Had door posts of olive wood carved and gilded. 1Ki 6:33; 2Ch 3:7.
11. The oracle or most holy place
a. Was twenty cubits every way. 1Ki 6:16,20.
b. Two cherubims of gilded olive wood made within. 1Ki 6:23-28; 2Ch 3:11-13.
c. A partition of chains of gold between it and outer house. 1Ki 6:21.
d. The doors and the posts of, of olive wood carved and gilded. 1Ki 6:31,32.
e. Separated from the outer house by a vail. 2Ch 3:14.
12. The floor and walls of, covered with cedar and fir wood. 1Ki 6:15.
13. Cedar of, carved with flowers, &c. 1Ki 6:18.
14. Ceiled with fir wood and gilt. 2Ch 3:5.
15. The whole inside and outside covered with gold. 1Ki 6:21,22; 2Ch 3:7.
16. Garnished with precious stones. 2Ch 3:6.
17. The porch of
a. Twenty cubits long and ten broad. 1Ki 6:3.
b. One hundred and twenty cubits high. 2Ch 3:4.
c. Pillars of, with their chapiters described. 1Ki 7:15-22; 2Ch 3:15-17.
18. Its magnificence. 2Ch 2:5,9.
19. Was seven years in building. 1Ki 6:38.
20. Was finished in the eighth month of the eleventh year of Solomon. 1Ki 6:38.
21. Was called
a. The house of the Lord. 2Ch 23:5,12.
b. The mountain of the Lord’s house. Isa 2:2.
c. House of the God of Jacob. Isa 2:3.
d. Zion. Ps 84:1-7.
e. Mount Zion. Ps 74:2.
22. Appointed as a house of sacrifice. 2Ch 7:12.
23. Appointed as a house of prayer. Isa 56:7; Mt 21:13.
24. God promised to dwell in. 1Ki 6:12,13.
25. All dedicated things placed in. 2Ch 5:1.
26. The ark of God brought into with great solemnity. 1Ki 8:1-9; 2Ch 5:2-10.
27. Filled with the cloud of glory. 1Ki 8:10,11; 2Ch 5:13; 7:2.
28. Solemnly dedicated to God by Solomon. 1Ki 8:12-66; 2Ch 6:1-42.
29. Sacred fire sent down from heaven at its dedication. 2Ch 7:3.
30. Was but a temple built with hands. Ac 7:47,48.
31. Complete destruction of, predicted. Jer 26:18; Mic 3:12.
32. Historical notices of
a. Pillaged by Shishak king of Egypt. 2Ki 21:4-7; 2Ch 33:4,5,7.
b. Repaired by Josiah in the 18th year of his reign. 1Ki 14:25,26; 2Ch 12:9.
c. Repaired by Jehoash at the institution of Jehoiada. 2Ki 12:4-14; 2Ch 24:4-13.
d. Treasures of given by Jehoash to propitiate the Syrians. 2Ki 12:17,18.
e. Defiled and its treasures given by Ahaz to the king of Assyria. 2Ki 16:14,18; 2Ch 28:20,21.
f. Purified and divine worship restored under Hezekiah. 2Ch 29:3-35.
g. Its treasures given by Hezekiah to the Assyrians to procure a treaty. 2Ki 18:13-16.
h. Polluted by the idolatrous worship of Manasseh. 2Ki 21:4-7; 2Ch 33:4,5,7.
i. Repaired by Josiah in the 18th year of his reign. 2Ki 22:3-7; 2Ch 34:8-13.
j. Purified by Josiah. 2Ki 23:4-7,11,12.
k. Pillaged and burned by the Babylonians. 2Ki 25:9,13-17; 2Ch 36:18,19.
33. Illustrative of
a. Christ. Joh 2:19,21.
b. The spiritual church. 1Co 3:16; 2Co 6:16; Eph 2:20-22.
c. The bodies of saints. 1Co 6:19.