1. Every herb, tree and grass yields its own. Ge 1:11,12,29.
2. Each kind of, has its own body. 1Co 15:38.
3. Sowing of
a. Time for, called seed time. Ge 8:22.
b. Necessary to its productiveness. Joh 12:24; 1Co 15:36.
c. Required constant diligence. Ec 11:4,6.
d. Often attended with great waste. Mt 13:4,5,7.
e. Often attended with danger. Ps 126:5,6.
4. Yearly return of time of sowing, secured by covenant. Ge 8:21,22.
5. The ground carefully ploughed, and prepared for. Isa 28:24,25.
6. Often sown beside rivers. Ec 11:1; Isa 32:20.
7. Often trodden into the ground, by the feet of oxen. Isa 32:20.
8. Required to be watered by the rain. Isa 55:10.
9. In Egypt required to be artificially watered. De 11:10.
10. Yielded an abundant increase in Canaan. Ge 26:12; Mt 13:23.
11. Mosaic laws respecting
a. Different kinds of, not to be sown in the same field. Le 19:19; De 22:9.
b. If dry, exempted from uncleanness though touched by an unclean thing. Le 11:37.
c. If wet, rendered unclean by contact with an unclean thing. Le 11:38.
d. The tithe of, to be given to God. Le 27:30.
e. Not to be sown during the sabbatical year. Le 25:4,20.
f. Not to be sown in year of jubilee. Le 25:11.
12. Difference between, and the plant which grows from it, noticed. 1Co 15:37,38.
13. The Jews punished by
a. Its rotting in the ground. Joe 1:17; Mal 2:3.
b. Its yielding but little increase. Isa 5:10; Hag 1:6.
c. Its increase being consumed by locusts. De 28:38; Joe 1:4.
d. Its increase being consume by enemies. Le 26:16; De 28:33,51.
e. Its being choked by thorns. Jer 12:13; Mt 13:7.
14. Illustrative of
a. The word of God. Lu 8:11; 1Pe 1:23.
b. Spiritual life. 1Jo 3:9.
15. Sowing, illustrative of
a. Preaching the gospel. Mt 13:3,32; 1Co 9:11.
b. Scattering or dispersing a people. Zec 10:9.
c. Christian liberality. Ec 11:6; 2Co 9:6.
d. Men’s works producing a corresponding recompence. Job 4:8; Ho 10:12; Ga 6:7,8.
e. The death of Christ and its effects. Joh 12:24.
f. The burial of the body. 1Co 15:36-38.